Sather Tower, also known as the Campanile, is one of UC Berkeley’s most beloved and well-known symbols. Visible for miles, the Campanile is the third-tallest clock and bell tower in the world, and an integral part of the campus experience. Get a spectacular, sprawling view of the Bay Area from the observation platform, accessible via an elevator and 38 stairs. Enjoy three daily carillon concerts at 7:50am, 12:00pm, and 6:00pm. Lounge on the historic esplanade and enjoy the shade of the stone giant. The Campanile is truly not to be missed. Check out our interactive YouVisit Campanile stop!
Hours of Operation
Please note the Campanile may be closed with little notice due to situations out of our control
- Monday-Friday: 10am – 4pm
- Saturday: 1pm – 5pm
- Sunday: 10am – 1pm & 3 – 5pm [closed for the 2pm carillon concert]
The Campanile will have different hours on the following dates:
- Friday, December 8: 10am - 2pm (closing early)
- Monday, December 11: 1pm - 4pm (opening late)
- Sunday, December 17: 10am - 12pm (closing early for extended carillon concert)
- Friday, December 22, 2023 through Tuesday, January 2, 2024: CLOSED (Winter Break)
Credit cards & Apple Pay only (no cash accepted)
- General admission (18-64 years): $5
- Seniors (65+ years): $4
- Cal Alumni Association (CAA) Members with ID: $4
- Youth (3-17 years): $4
- Youth (2 and under): Free
- UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff with Cal ID: Free
If you are a campus department wishing to pre-purchase Campanile tickets via chartstring, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The observation platform is not wheelchair accessible, as there are 38 steps from the top of the elevator to the observation platform. The Campanile esplanade and lobby displays are accessible by wheelchair.
Backpacks, large bags, large items, laptops, food, and drinks are not permitted in the elevator or on the observation platform. We have a bag check inside the lobby for all of these items. Small purses, cameras, and cell phones are permitted.
Animals, except service animals, are not permitted in the building which includes the lobby, elevator, and observation platform. We are unable to watch animals while visitors are inside, so someone will need to stay with your animal outside at all times.